DIVERSE VOICES PROGRAMME 22/23 - NOW OPEN TO APPLICATIONS
Diverse Voices PhD Scholarships
The PSA is delighted to launch this new initiative to support black and minority ethnic scholars currently undertaking PhD study in politics and international relations.
We are looking to award three Diverse Voices Scholarships in 2022 to students who meet both the following criteria:
- A PhD student (in their second or final year in 2022/23 academic year) affiliated to a UK Higher Education Institution; and,
- Those self-identified as Black British, Asian British, or minority ethnic UK permanent residents.
Applications from women scholars will be particularly welcomed.
The Diverse Voices Scholars will benefit, for one year, from:
- Free PSA Membership
- All expenses covered attendance at the PSA’s Annual Conference (PSA23)
- Networking opportunities during the PSA events and with PSA Executive Committee members
- Mentoring (especially on academic publishing)
- Up to £500 pounds to cover research-related expenses.
To apply, please send the following to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 June 2022:
- A short covering letter explaining how you meet the scholarship eligibility criteria
- Your CV
- Completed PSA Equal Opportunities Form.
We are hoping to award the 2022 scholarships by July with a view to supporting the scholars during 2022/23 academic year.
We are also inviting applications for up to three £1000 Diverse Voices Early Career Research Grants to advance scholars from under-represented groups.
Access to this fund will be exclusive to PSA members.
The Application and Assessment Process:
PSA members can apply for funding (for 2022/23) as follows:
- Applications open as part of the Research & Innovation Fund: 16 May 2022
- Deadline for applications: Noon, 14 June 2022
- Feedback to applicants: After 1 July 2022.
Find out more here.
Why are we supporting ‘Diverse Voices’ in Political Studies?
As we found in this recent PSA/BISA Study, our discipline is overwhelmingly white and predominantly male. We need your help to change this. We are committing ourselves to reaching out and welcoming diverse voices into the field of Political Studies. We are launching our new campaign to encourage and provide financial and other support for students from a variety of backgrounds and identities to gain a doctorate in Politics. We believe that academia is stronger when diverse voices are researching politics, articulating political values and teaching the next generation that politics has space for everyone.
With your help, the PSA can support through Diverse Voices Programme of scholarships, grants and recognitising excellence. Here’s how you can share your gifts, time or talents:
Give a Donation
If you can offer a regular gift or offer a one off donation, here are our account details:
Bank of Scotland
Sort Code: 12-08-81
Account Number: 00647207
Give your Time
If you can volunteer or offer your talents to support PSA's Diverse Voices Programme as a fund-raiser, supporter or advocate, please email us at email@example.com.
Give your Expertise
If you can help promote the PSA's Diverse Voices Programme in your organisation or amongst your networks or would consider being a mentor for one of the Diverse Voices Scholars, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.