The aims of the group are:
- To promote and advance the study of Latin American politics in the United Kingdom.
- To foster and encourage multi-method research on topics related to Latin American politics.
- To boost the existent network of UK-based political scientists whose scholarship focuses on all the aspects of Latin American political development.
- To facilitate the exchange of ideas and the discussion of new projects between UK-based scholars, researchers, practitioners, and graduate students interested in researching Latin American politics.
- To organize conferences and events to promote collaboration among the increasing number of UK-based scholars doing research on Latin American politics.