PSA QM Network Launch Event
Location: Lecture Theatre, Manor Road Building, Manor Road, Oxford.
Audience: Anyone interested is welcome.
Cost: None. For catering please email firstname.lastname@example.org if participating, and send dietary and other requirements if any.
Main aims for the day:
1. Understanding the current roles of QM in political science teaching and research across the UK
2. Presentation and discussion of innovations in teaching and research in political science in the UK
3. Networking: enabling QM researchers and teachers to meet each other
4. Consideration of what the PSA QM network could do. So all speakers have been asked to say what they think would be most useful to see from the network.
Broad structure of the day:
1. Morning: Knowledge exchange regarding the extent and nature of QM teaching and research in political science across a wide variety of UK departments. These sessions will be devoted to a series of very short (6 minute) talks from representatives of departments from across the UK which currently include Bath, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Essex, Exeter, Kent, Kings London, Leicester, LSE, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, Queens Belfast, Southampton, Strathclyde, UEA, Warwick and York.
2. Presentations and discussion of innovations in QM teaching in politics, in the first afternoon session, including presentations on ESRC researcher and curriculum developments projects, the Essex Summer School, the Higher Education Academy and the National Centre for Research Methods.
3. Presentations and discussions of innovations in QM research in politics in the second afternoon session. Speakers will include Ken Benoit, Dominik Hangartner, Rob Johns, Ben Lauderdale, Justin Murphy, Anja Neundorf, Thomas Pluemper, Tom Scotto, Pat Sturgis, and Nick Vivyan.
Also lots of break time for networking and further discussion!
Provisional programme for day (timing subject to change):
9.30 - 10.00 Tea and coffee on arrival
10.00 - 11.30 Introductions from Steve Fisher and Helena Djurkovic (PSA), then talks from representatives of departments
11.30 - 12.00 Tea and coffee
12.00 - 13.00 More talks from representatives of departments
13.00 - 14.00 Sandwich lunch provided
14.00 - 15.00 Talks on QM teaching in politics including projects on QM teaching
15.00 - 15.30 Tea and coffee
15.30 - 16.30 Talks on QM research innovations in political science
16.30 - 17.00 Tea and coffee and close