Vacancy at the Political Studies Association - Administrative Assistant
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, POLITICAL STUDIES ASSOCIATION (PSA)
The Political Studies Association
The Political Studies Association exists to develop and promote the study of politics. Founded in 1950, we are the leading Association in our field in the United Kingdom, with an international membership including academics in political science and current affairs, theorists and practitioners, policy-makers, researchers and students in higher education.
Job purpose: to support, across all roles, the activities of the PSA Office
To act as centralised office support
- Generally, act as first point of contact at the PSA by phone and email, demonstrating exemplary customer service skills and answering queries, and routing enquiries when appropriate to the relevant member of staff or trustee.
- Explore and implement new office practices and methods of organisation to improve efficiency of communication between staff members, and staff members and trustees.
- To plan and organise all quarterly Executive Committee meetings with Chair and CEO; to receive and collate all relevant reports for Executive Committee papers to send out to staff and committee members. Additionally, taking notes and writing minutes for each Executive Committee meeting; and to monitor action points as produced from Executive Committee meetings.
- To administer the shared meetings, annual leave, and sick leave staff calendars.
- To occasionally book hotel rooms and/or travel for PSA staff, PSA trustees or guests of the PSA.
- To liaise with PSA office tech and website support regarding technological related issues experienced by the PSA office or occurring on the PSA website.
To act as PSA Office contact for membership activities:
- To act as primary contact in managing relationships with CJAM Ltd., the outsourcing company handling membership registrations, renewals, payments, and general membership inquiries.
- To work directly with the PSA Secretary (a trustee role) and CEO to implement any membership changes decided by the Executive Committee.
- To update and maintain contact lists including teachers, university societies, Heads of Department, MPs.
- Working with the CEO and administering the PSA’s various grant schemes, including the Overseas Conference Grant and International Visitor Grant, which includes advertising the grants in advance and collating applications via email
- To help oversee PSA elections for new trustees
To provide administrative support for communications and marketing
- To receive all relevant announcements for the membership e-newsletter, which is sent out once a month to all members.
- To receive announcements from trustees and send out to relevant PSA contact lists.
- To write and circulate the PSA Monthly Brief to trustees, staff, publications editors, Teachers’ Network and Early Career Network officers, and liaising with colleagues to update the corresponding Forward Look calendar.
- To collate articles for our quarterly membership magazine PSA News, and to copy edit any articles on behalf of Communications & Media Officer when required.
- To update the PSA website as necessary, for example, to promote events, jobs, calls for papers, etc.
To provide administrative support on event-planning
- To support the Events and Marketing Manager in organising PSA’s programme of annual events, including the PSA Annual International Conference, the PSA Awards, and the British Library lectures which can include: managing participants/attendees, including invitations, accessibility and dietary requests; organising catering and deliveries.
- As needed, to book venues for PSA sub-committee meetings, interviews, or other smaller ad-hoc PSA events.
- To send invitations and manage invitation lists for ad-hoc PSA events on behalf of trustees or CEO.
To provide financial and general office support.
- To receive all expenses and forms from grant recipients.
- To manage office supplies and resources.
- To organise financial information related to membership for annual audits.
- To support the finance officer in processing expense claims and invoices
Structure: there are seven permanent members of staff currently. Five of these report to the CEO. This post will report to the Events and Marketing Manager. Our office is currently based in Jermyn Street, London but we will have relocated to Camden at the end of July.
Additional information: the role is full time and there is some requirement to work outside normal office hours to attend various PSA events. In addition, occasional travel would be expected within the UK.
Terms of Employment
1. The starting salary will be £20,000 per annum with scope for annual progression
2. 37.5 hour working week excluding lunch; willingness to work very occasional evenings and weekends with no overtime payments
3. 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
4. Employer contribution to pension (6% for employee contribution of 3% of salary, 10% for employee contribution of 5% of salary)
How to apply
Please send a CV (no more than three sides of A4) and a covering letter (no more than two sides of A4) explaining why you are suited to the role by midday on 23 July 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also complete a PSA equal opportunities monitoring form – this can be accessed from the PSA website at /sites/default/files/PSA-equal-opportunities-monitoring-form-%20July%202017.docx.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 27 July. If you have not heard from us by then please assume that you have been unsuccessful. Interviews will take place in Camden on 7 August.
Please find a word document of the job description here.