Submissions can be in the form of individual papers or panels. Please see the relevant guidance for each below. A visual guide for which submission you should be submitting can be found at the bottom of this page.
TYPES OF SUBMISSION
- Paper Submission
- For those submitting an individual paper for the conference or submitting a paper as part of a 'Panel Proposal' (below)
- If you are submitting a paper as part of a 'Panel Proposal' (below) title must be 'Panel Title: Paper Title'
- Panel Proposal
- For those submitting a panel proposal (which is NOT part of a Specialist Group submission) for the conference, you will also need to submit a 'Paper Submission' for each paper included in the panel.
- Specialist Group Only - Panel Overview
- For PSA Specialist Groups to submit one of their allocated panels (follow instructions for Panel Proposal)
- Specialist Group Only - Panel Contribution
- For PSA Specialist Groups to submit a paper which is included in one of their allocated panels
- Submission title should be "Panel Title: Paper Title"
- Paper and panel titles should be Title Case Format (example: The End of History?).
- Please check proposals for errors before submitting and ensure that correct email addresses are provided for authors.
- Authors must use the same email address during the submissions process and when registering for the PSA Conference; having multiple accounts makes it difficult to keep track of accepted authors ahead of the conference registration deadline (and considerable time is spent by the organisers identifying users’ multiple accounts and merging them).
- Need Guidance? On the right-hand side of your conference dashboard there is a Help section - click on ‘Author Articles’ for submissions guides. Contact details are also provided if you require further assistance.
- If you are interested in being part of a PSA Specialist Group panel or have a Specialist Group-related query please contact the relevant group convenor(s). Details for all PSA Specialist Groups are available here.
- In line with the PSA’s Equality and Diversity Strategy, panel convenors should make active efforts to involve BAME and disabled participants. Additionally, we will not accept or convene all-male panels.
- Panels comprising entirely of PhD students will not be accepted.
- Masters students are welcome to register to attend the conference but we will not normally accept paper proposals from students at this stage of their postgraduate studies
- Submissions from undergraduate students will not be accepted; undergraduates are instead strongly encouraged to submit proposals for the PSA Annual Undergraduate Conference 2021.
- The deadline for submitting proposals is Monday 12th October@23:59. All paper and panel proposals can be edited up until the submission deadline unless already under review by the convenors. If the status of your proposal is 'under review' and you wish to make changes please email the convenors (email@example.com) who will help with your request.
This is for paper abstracts by author(s) that, if accepted, can be incorporated into a relevant panel by the conference convenors. Also select this option if you are submitting papers for a 'Panel Proposal' which is NOT part of a PSA Specialist Group panel.
- STEP 1. FORMAT: Select the ‘Paper Submission’ option.
- STEP 2. TITLE & ABSTRACT: Enter paper title in Title Case Format and the abstract (max. 300 words). If it is paper for a 'Panel Proposal' enter the paper title as Panel Title: Paper Title
- STEP 3. AUTHORS: Add details as requested:
- If you are not a paper author but are submitting on behalf of others, click the ‘I’m not an Author’ box and then add paper author details.
- If there are multiple authors choose a corresponding author (main point of contact for the paper) and select the presenting authors who will attend the conference if the paper is accepted.
- STEP 4. TOPICS:
- Choose up to two topics (based on PSA Specialist Group names) relevant to the paper. This is then used by the conference convenors to place the paper in an appropriately themed panel
- STEP 5. ALL SUBMISSION TYPES:
- Statement on No All-Male Panels: Select 'Not applicable - not submitting a panel proposal'.
- STEP 6. PANEL OVERVIEW:
- Panel Discussant Details: Ignore and click 'Done'
- The paper has now been submitted and all authors will be notified via email. Proposals can be edited up until the submission deadline unless already under review by the convenors. If the status of your proposal is ‘under review’ and you wish to make changes please email the conference convenors who will help with your request.
These submissions are for fully formed/organised panels which are NOT part of a PSA Specialist Group proposal, usually of up to 4 papers, a chair and discussant (the latter is optional). Panel sessions are 90 minutes in duration with up to 15 - 20 minutes per paper and the remainder for questions and discussion. Submitted panels with two papers or less will not be considered.
The conference convenors may contact panel organisers about adding unattached accepted paper proposals to their submitted panels.
Panel convenors need to go through the workflow multiple times* and are required to:
- Enter one PANEL PROPOSAL SUBMISSION - title, abstract, chair details, select relevant topic(s)
- Enter a PAPER SUBMISSION for each paper that is part of the panel - title must be Panel Title: Paper Title, abstract and author details. IT IS VITAL THAT PANEL CONVENORS PROVIDE PANEL CONTRIBUTION DETAILS SO THAT AUTHOR DETAILS FOR EACH PAPER IS CAPTURED CORRECTLY.
Please do not skip the paper submissions as it is essential to add author details for each paper that is part of the panel.
If a panel has 4 contributions: you will have to complete 5 submissions (Panel Proposal + 4 Paper Submissions)
The panel overview and paper submissions will then be collated by the conference convenors and formed into a panel in the conference programme, if accepted.
The full instructions for panel submissions are as follows:
- STEP 1. FORMAT: Select the ‘Panel Proposal’ option.
- STEP 2. TITLE & ABSTRACT: Enter panel title in Title Case Format and abstract (panel synopsis, titles of featured papers etc. and max. 300 words).
- STEP 3. AUTHORS: ONLY ADD PANEL CHAIR DETAILS IN THIS SECTION - THEY SHOULD ALSO BE SELECTED AS THE CORRESPONDING AUTHOR AND PRESENTING AUTHOR. If a panel chair has not yet been chosen then add the panel convenor’s details and this can be amended at a later date (even after the submissions deadline via contacting the conference convenors at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- STEP 4. TOPICS: You can select up to two topics to help categorise your submission.
- Statement on No All-Male Panels: Please ensure that your proposal adheres to the PSA's commitment to equality and diversity and agree to the statement that it is not an all-male panel.
- STEP 5. ALL SUBMISSION TYPES:
- STEP 6. PANEL OVERVIEW
- Panel Discussant Details: Add details if the panel has a discussant (this can also be updated following the submissions deadline by contacting the conference convenors.
- STEP 7. INDIVIDUAL PANEL CONTRIBUTION: Ignore this step and click ‘Done – Save Submission’.
- The panel overview has now been submitted and the panel chair/convenor will be notified via email. Proposals can be edited up until the submission deadline unless already under review by the convenors. If the status of your proposal is ‘under review’ and you wish to make changes please email the conference convenors who will help with your request.
- Panel convenors should then begin adding Paper Submissions for each paper included in the panel using the guidance above in 'Paper Submissions'.
SPECIALIST GROUP ONLY - PANEL OVERVIEW
Select this option ONLY if you are entering a panel proposal for a PSA Specialist Group as one of your allocated panels. Then, follow the instructions as above in the 'PANEL PROPOSAL' section. However, use the SPECIALIST GROUP ONLY - PANEL CONTRIBUTION option to add the individual papers.
Please ensure you select the topics corresponding to your Specialist Group to assist the convenors in allocating your panels in the programme.
SPECIALIST GROUP ONLY - PANEL CONTRIBUTION
Select this option ONLY if you are entering the individual papers as part of a PSA Specialist Group Panel Overview.
Ensure the titles use the format - 'Panel Title: Paper Title'.
If you need assistance for your submisison please email email@example.com and we will be happy to answer your queries.
Further details regarding the PSA Annual Conference, including deadlines are available on the main page.