PROMOTING POLITICAL SCIENCE IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY
Total Exposure is a new initiative by the Political Studies Association designed to bring international broadcasters and the very best political scientists together in order to create TV and radio programmes that showcase the discipline and which therefore underline exactly why the study of politics matters.
Are you the author of a groundbreaking study that our wider society needs to know about? Struggling to get your research read by people outside of academia? Do you feel that your research would be better explained visually or aurally instead of words on a page? Total Exposure helps members of the PSA make their first steps towards producing compelling political television and radio programming.
Total Exposure 2017
We are now accepting pitches for Total Exposure 2017.
Download the Total Exposure Handbook now!
Professor Matthew Flinders (PSA Chair) and the Expert Panel at the 2016 Grand Pitching Event.
Participation is simple and follows the steps below. Read the Total Exposure Handbook for advice on how to pitch, and see below for inspiration from 2016.
- Submit a short pitch on your idea for a potential TV or radio programme based on research within the discipline by 31 October 2016. The process is very simple - writing your pitch should take no longer than 6 minutes! All we ask for is a one or two-page outline of a TV or radio programme based on a piece of academic research.
- We ask four shortlisting judges to choose ten pitches that they consider worthy of going forward to the Grand Pitching Event.
- Grand Pitching Event: Successful pitching authors present their proposal in front of an expert panel of commissioning editors from the likes of BBC, ITV, Sky and Channel 4, at the Royal Society of Arts on 26 January 2017. Each pitch author has 3 minutes to present their pitch followed by 7 to 10 minutes of feedback, questions and critique from the expert panel. Presentations are filmed on the day and made available on the PSA website after the event - see below for some examples from 2016!
Every PSA member is eligible to submit a pitch for Total Exposure. Not a member yet? No problem, join the PSA today.
Watch our Total Exposure Top Tips from Professor Matt Flinders
Queries? Contact the PSA's Communications and Media Relations Officer, Stefanie Mair at email@example.com.
TOTAL EXPOSURE 2016
We were overwhelmed by the response to the inaugural Total Exposure, receiving a total of 51 different innovative and creative pitches from members. The judges were impressed by the enthusiasm and energy demonstrated by all pitchers, and have agreed to sit on the panel for a second year!
Professor Cathy Gormley-Heenan (Ulster University) has successfully made it to commissioning talks with her programme, “A World Made of Walls”.
A selection of other pitches from 2016 can be viewed below via our Youtube channel.
- Where did all the good politicians go?”
Professor Steven Fielding (University of Nottingham)
- “Life After Politics”
Dr Dennis Grube (University of Tasmania)
- “How to build a party”
Rebecca Partos, Jess Garland, Jake Watts and Sam Power (University of Sussex)
- “Drone World: Power, Geopolitics and Infantry”
Dr Kyle Grayson (Newcastle University)
- “Are you #F***ing off? Are you #F**king aware*”: Online Literacy for Effective Political and Public Engagement”
Dr Mark Shephard (University of Strathclyde).
- "Corruption - The Challenge of Our Time?"
Professor Dan Hough (University of Sussex)
Please direct all queries or comments about Total Exposure to firstname.lastname@example.org